Wednesday, March 15, 2017

Arresting Failure

On 3/11/17 Kev writes, I type...


We can never change the future by being stuck in the past. Resentment and guilt can be our greatest enemies and  I watch men fall victim to these traps on a daily basis. I think a majority of the men in here see the department of rehabilitation and  corrections as a failure. They believe the system has given up on them. What I see on a daily basis inside these walls certainly supports their argument. How do we expect to change something that is broken by ignoring it? In order for us to break the cycle of failure we must create a new wheel. I realize that true change starts within me. What most of these men don't understand is that you cannot wait on the "system" or someone else to change what has to be changed from within. Arresting failure takes the courage to be able to accept your failures and to not let the rest of your life be defined by those failures.
If you want anything to change, you must first change yourself. If you continue to allow yourself to be a statistic, you will never see things around you change. We have to fight for something instead of always fighting against everything. When we can learn from our failures we will end up finding a new direction.
I feel like I am repeating things I have written to you all before. I just feel like nothing will change unless we are able to find the change we wish for inside ourselves.
We must learn to arrest failure from acceptance from within for only then will we find the progress we seek around us. To truly fix what is broken, we must become the tools for success. Every day, I try to lead by example to show those around me that until you fix yourself, nothing else around you can be fixed. I feel it's more courageous to admit your faults than to pass the blame to someone or something else. I am at a very special place in my life. I have an understanding of myself today and I take each day as it comes. I do not let speed bumps become mountains. I give myself a chance to mess up but I strive for progress rather than perfection , and by doing that I am able to find peace. When we can lay our heads down at night and know we have given our best, to me that is what living is all about.
I plan to leave this place the person I was always supposed to be. I want to be a vital part of the solution and not the problem. I want to be an example and a catalyst for others to not only find hope from but also for them to find the guidance they need to not end up in a place like this...
How can YOU arrest failure?


Today's Positive Affirmation: I will be the example for all others to find guidance, and be a light that shines in the darkness...

No comments:

Post a Comment